Friday, October 9, 2009

Short post

Hello. I know, I know. It has been a long time since I've posted. Here's the thing down here: there isn't a whole lot to do. Especially when the weather is bad and you're trying to finish your thesis. BUT! I have good news to report: my thesis defense date is set, and I will be presenting my work on November 13. Which is a Friday. Excellent...

First up: When traveling to Antarctica, you must have at least one picture taken of a close-up of your face, completely covered up, except for the eyes. So many people look like this on a daily basis that I'm sure you'd never recognize them in the galley if you ran into them. And yes, I'm smiling in this shot.


Here we have one from a short walk to Hut Point:
That's Scott's Hut behind me with station further behind the hut.
And finally, this is the only picture of a balloon launch that I've been able to not only get my hands on, but actually post on this blog. I don't know what the deal is: sometimes Blogger doesn't want to work.
Here is our last big instrument launch of the season. We are getting the instrument ready to go, and there are some people in the background holding the balloon. We have already gotten two of these instruments back, with the third and final one still on the ice. Stephanie, Mahesh and I are supposed to go out on the helicopters tomorrow to get it back, weather permitting. I'll update again after the helo ride!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Leslie! Good luck on your final leg of the Master's degree journey. You look great in the pictures- the icy wind is giving you some red cheeks in front of the hut, and you look like the National Geographic 'Afghan Girl' in the first - keep out those Taliban penguins!

Leslie said...

Andrew: My friend, Sam, said the same thing about the National Geographic thing. It must be the eyes...
Thanks for the well wishes!

Unknown said...

Leslie, I love that even your eyelashes are frosty. That is a new mascara look.Great pictures once again. Love You, Mom