Friday, September 19, 2008

Trip to Scott Base

Well, I know it has been a while, but that just goes to show how busy Jennifer has us down here! We work day in and day out, it is unbelievable! (Seriously, it really isn't like that at all. But we have been really busy with launches. Four successes!) But this afternoon, we did get a little respite, after a grueling 2 mile hike (again, I am kidding. The "walk" was easy.) to Scott Base. Scott Base is the New Zealand Base just about two miles (or less) from McMurdo. We were invited for dinner by a colleague of our group, and then stayed for "American Night" at their bar. Scott Base is much smaller than McMurdo; only about 23 people are there right now. So being invited for dinner is a real treat.
Here are some pics from our walk down the hill to the base.
Scott Base is really nice because, aside from the creamy green all the buildings are painted, they are all connected. Which means you don't have to keep putting on all your gear going from building to building.
And, the piece de resistance, a picture of me!
I promise, I have more pics of me, I'll try to get them as soon as I can. And in case you're worried about the temperature out there; it is after midnight right now and it is +5 degrees F. So it wasn't horribly cold. All in all: nice hike, nice dinner, nice drinks, and nice company!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Heya Leslie! Was just about to email you requesting an update :) Glad to hear everything's going well. Pretty neat that you get to do a little "hiking" and that the launches have all been successful. Later!

~dave

Mom said...

It's 9,245 miles from Chicago, You've got a fully charged PC, half a pack of koala yummies, it's cold, you are wearing flip flops...stay safe and happy, love you, ...ps,Great to see you. You look marvelous.

Leslie said...

To mom: Hit it.

Nice Blues Brother's reference. ;-)

pdenninggolden said...

Hello, Leslie: I would have recognized you anywhere in your fashionable Santa attire. Keep warm...and you look really adorable in all of your pictures. I really look forward to your entries. Hug Hugh for me; I think I have a tiny crush on him...Pat

pdenninggolden said...

Cubs clinched the Central Division, Leslie...
Go, Cubs, Go!

The Bryans said...

Hola Leslie - Big red and goggles look great on you!
Fun you guys got to go to scott base. Jen told me all fun places in McMurdo are still closed? :(
Take care!