Sunday, August 23, 2009

I have arrived!

UPDATE: Pictures are now linked. Click on the thumbnails to view the full sized picture.

Hello! I writing to you from Antarctica! After two delays in Christchurch (which ended up being a nice break), we woke up on Saturday at 2:30 am and headed to the airport to gear up and board the plane. We took off at about 7:30 am New Zealand time, and arrived over McMurdo a little over 5 hours later.

Landing in a C-17 is strange. You can't see anything, and all you can do to figure out where you are and how far away from the ground you are is to try to "feel" the way the plane is moving and shaking. The crew told us it was about -25 F on the ground at McMurdo, and boy, they were right. Cold! But this year, I was prepared. I managed to capture a few pictures of my first moments on the ice.

Here's a view of the plane behind me as I walked away from it. The air was full of ice and diamond dust particles, so I think these images are quite impressive.

Here are all of us Antarcticans boarding Ivan the Terra Bus to be taken back to McMurdo. I didn't ride on Ivan but on a bus, instead.

It has been pretty nice here, and it is only day 2. Tonight, as well as last night, there were pretty spectacular polar stratospheric clouds (or, nacreous clouds) all over the skies surrounding the station. This evening, I couldn't help myself, and had to take a couple pictures.

How about them apples? If you are new to my blog, and you're not sure what these strange things are, I explain the phenomenon a few posts back. We try to take ozone measurements when these clouds are present because they are key in the destruction of ozone. To measure these clouds, we use a LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) to measure the light scattered from the clouds. The characteristic green LIDAR beam is well known around station, and here is my best 4 second exposure shot of it:

For now, it is time for me to get ready for bed. We have another long day of getting all of our gear in order and ready for a launch. Hopefully, we can launch tomorrow. Until next time: courage.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Leslie!

Wow- great pics from just your first few days! I hope it is another great adventure for you!

-Andy

Unknown said...

Hi Leslie,
You look great and the pictures are wonderful. I was thinking of you as we canoed in weather that was sticky with a 70 plus dew point.