Saturday, August 29, 2009

One Week Complete

We've been here for one week! Tonight is Italian night in the galley, which is always an enjoyable feast. It's the one meal a week we can have a glass of wine with our dinner, so it is pretty nice. Everything has been going fairly well on the other side of Earth. We launched another balloon a couple of days ago (don't worry; I'll post some launch pictures as soon as I can get my hands on some). The launch went really well. During the launches, a couple of us drive up to the top of this hill just outside of town where there is a communications building. We have one of our receiving stations in there because it has a great view of the sky all around it. When we left the building this time, this is what we saw:
For this one, you really have to enlarge the thumbnail to get the best perspective, but isn't that cool? This is looking pretty much due North, and the sun was setting. The lighting was just right that the sky was brilliant orange and back lit the mountains. Pretty awesome.

As for my photo project, enjoy "McMurdo Fog":
It is dark like that because that is exactly what it looked like for us. Notice how Ob Hill is pretty unrecognizable. Hopefully, we will get a Condition 1 storm (visibility = zero) and I can take a shot then.

Hope things are well in the Northern Hemisphere. More posts to come!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I.. hope you get a blizzard.. too?
o__O

Leslie said...

Bleezards are fun! (That is like "weezards") As long as I'm in the right building when it hits... either the galley or my dorm. ;-)