Monday, August 31, 2009

Yes, I really am here

Thought you might like some actual verification that I am here in Antarctica. Problem is, I like being behind the camera, not in front of it. But, I try to please all, so here are some "action" shots.

First up, "Look! A mountain!" (I wasn't actually trying to point at that mountain, but that's how it came out.)
Just being silly. This is our view from Building 70 (our remote receiving station). Here is a shot of me just chillin' outside of Building 70:
We call it the telephone booth. Because it isn't much bigger. Spending 3 hours in this hut during a balloon launch can be a little boring, so we have to remember to bring plenty of things to occupy ourselves (read: crossword puzzles).

Finally, here is the beast we get to drive around station. The wheels are too big for the wheel wells, so you can't turn the steering wheel all the way around, or you'll rub the tire.
So there you have proof of my being on the ice. Yesterday, it was -30 F with wind gusts of up to 40 mph. I don't think I have to say that it was C O L D.

That's it for now. Courage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is there really any leaded gasoline around anymore to warrant that decal?

Anyway, you present a very interesting argument as to your whereabouts. But, to be fair, we should teach the controversy.